The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) are investigating the utilisation of the N12 billion intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to settle outstanding wages, bonuses and other obligations owed to national team players and officials.
The NFF disclosed this in a letter dated August 18, 2026, issued in response to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request seeking financial records and utilisation details for the fund.
In the letter, referenced NFF/LEG/10/1/879 and signed by Onoja Joshua on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, the federation said it could not release the requested documents because the fund was already the subject of investigations by the two anti-corruption agencies.
“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is the subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC),” the letter stated.
The NFF also said that “all documents relating to the request are before” the EFCC and ICPC.
The federation did not disclose the transactions or activities under investigation. It also did not state when the probes began or whether any NFF officials had been invited for questioning.
The development comes amid increased scrutiny of the management and financing of Nigerian football, with concerns over the performance of the national teams and calls for reforms within the NFF.
The N12 billion intervention fund was approved by President Bola Tinubu in January 2024 to clear outstanding financial obligations involving Nigeria’s national teams. The funds were expected to cover 15 months of unpaid salaries owed to Super Eagles coaches, players’ allowances and other payments due to the senior men’s and women’s teams, as well as the Under-20 team.
Meanwhile, the Senate Committee on Sports has summoned officials of the NFF and the National Sports Commission for an emergency meeting over the state of Nigerian football.
The committee chairman, Senator Abdul Ningi, said the Senate was concerned about the Super Eagles’ failure to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and the Super Falcons’ failure to qualify for the 2027 Women’s World Cup.
The Senate is expected to use the meeting to examine the factors behind the teams’ recent setbacks and assess the administration of football in the country.





