A video allegedly released by the kidnappers on Sunday showed the teacher tied up before he was beheaded. The footage, which circulated on Telegram and was obtained on Monday, has intensified concerns over the fate of other victims still being held.
The killing has deepened anxiety in the community, where residents and relatives of the abducted victims are urging security agencies and the Oyo State Government to speed up rescue operations.
Confirming the incident on Monday, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr Suleimon Olanrewaju, said the governor had sympathised with the victim’s family and pledged that the state would continue efforts to rescue those still in captivity.
Olanrewaju said the government was deploying both military and non-military strategies in the ongoing operation.
He disclosed that six suspects linked to the abduction had been arrested, while three additional persons of interest were detained by another security outfit in the state.
According to him, security operatives involved in the rescue mission also suffered casualties after encountering improvised explosive devices planted by the abductors.
He said members of the military, Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes lost their lives during the operation, while injured personnel were responding to treatment.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted. Unfortunately, we got a video this morning showing that one of the teachers, the mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists,” he said.
Olanrewaju appealed to families of the victims and other stakeholders to remain patient, assuring them that efforts were ongoing to secure the release of the remaining captives.
The abduction occurred on Friday, May 15, when gunmen invaded the school and kidnapped the principal, several teachers and students.
The attack has renewed concerns over insecurity in parts of Oyo State, coming weeks after an attempted kidnapping along the Ibadan-Ijebu road left one traveller dead.
