A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Umar Sani, has claimed that former President Goodluck Jonathan has obtained the party’s presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 election.

Sani made the claim during an interview on Trust TV on Tuesday, where he also expressed confidence that a court case challenging Jonathan’s eligibility to contest again would not succeed.

According to him, the issue of Jonathan’s eligibility had already been addressed by the courts and could not be reopened except by the Supreme Court.

“We are very confident that the matter will be thrown out because you cannot relitigate something that has already been decided upon,” he said.

Sani added that the pending suit before Justice Peter Lifu was likely to be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction when it comes up on May 26.

His comments come amid increasing speculation over Jonathan’s possible return to frontline politics. The former president has recently held consultations across political circles, fueling reports of a potential 2027 bid.

Although Jonathan has not publicly declared his intention to run or confirmed the platform he may use, Sani said his actions pointed to serious political interest.

“In politics, what is important is action. If you are interested, there are processes you have to follow, one of which is the procurement of nomination forms. He has done that,” he said.

When asked directly whether Jonathan had obtained the form, Sani responded: “Yes and in fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly.”

He also dismissed claims that Jonathan’s supporters were using his name for political relevance, arguing that many Nigerians still hold positive memories of his administration.

Jonathan served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015 before losing reelection to Muhammadu Buhari.

Since leaving office, he has largely focused on diplomatic and mediation efforts across Africa while staying away from active partisan politics.