The United States Mission in Nigeria has issued a security advisory to its personnel and American citizens following recent military operations directed at ISIS-linked targets in the country’s North-East region.

In a notice circulated after the joint activity on May 16, the Mission advised staff to stay alert, reduce unnecessary movement, and avoid patterns that could increase exposure to risk. It also urged U.S. citizens in Nigeria to apply standard safety precautions and remain conscious of their surroundings.

The advisory comes after a series of air operations conducted in coordination with Nigerian authorities, which the U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) said targeted ISIS operatives in the North-East. Officials stated that intelligence confirmed the presence of militant elements at the strike locations, and that assessments of the outcomes are still ongoing. No casualties were reported among U.S. or Nigerian personnel involved in the operation.

AFRICOM described the strikes as part of ongoing efforts to reduce the group’s operational capacity and prevent planned attacks against regional and international interests.

The operations followed the reported killing of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki on May 16. The U.S. military said he was among the key figures linked to the group’s activities in the region. He was previously designated by the U.S. government as a global terrorist in 2023.

On May 17, AFRICOM confirmed additional strikes carried out in the same general area, noting that they were coordinated with Nigerian security forces. Officials maintained that the actions were aimed at disrupting militant networks and limiting their ability to regroup.

President Donald Trump confirmed the operation and stated it was conducted in partnership with Nigerian forces. Nigerian authorities later acknowledged the development, with President Bola Tinubu commending both domestic security agencies and U.S. support in addressing insurgent threats in the North-East.